Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Realizing a Dream

I have had a dream to shoot a par or sub-par round of golf for a long time and yesterday I finally accomplished the goal. I have had 9s that were par or sub-par, but never been able to put them together. After a first 9 of 36, which included 7 pars, 1 bogie and 1 birdie, I was on my way. The 10th hole is, however, a challenging and difficult par 4, with water and easily accessible out of bounds areas. I was able to chip up close and drop the put for a par, which gave me hope that my dream was still in place. By making pars on the next two holes, I was starting to wonder what exactly was going on, but when I birdied the next two, I told my playing partners, this is getting scary. A par on the next par 5, left me with just 3 holes to manauver to put two 9s together for a dream reaching event. A good drive, a weak 2nd shot, a short chip, and a missed putt, produced a bogie. Two holes to go and still 1 under for the round. Hope almost faded when my tee shot on the par 3 17th hole found the deep rough at the side of the green, it quickly returned when I hit a wedge out and hit the pin stopping about 18" from the cup for a par. One hole left and still one under for the round. Potential diaster hit when I pushed my drive to the right into the pond. What a sinking feeling, I now was fighting to try to get a bogie. It was still a reality to be had, if I could control my emotions a temporary let down. A shot over the creek and trees left me with a 164 yard up hill shot to the par 5 green. My 4th shot faded to the right side of the green, leaving me with a chip and a one putt to fullfill my dream and goal. My chip settled a mere 12" from the cup and I knew that I had won the battle of the emotions to realize my dream.
Now my new dream is to shoot that sub-par round, I came within one hole of doing this time and now know how it feels to be on the threshold. It may not be an easy task, but I now believe it is doable, it is just a matter of time.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Lou! I have listened to you talk about many a round and hearing you talk about this one was A Big Thrill. You make believers out of the rest of us that the things we hope for can be realized. Nice work. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Lou! And good luck on your next goal of a sub-par round.


    www.thegolfprofessors.com

    ReplyDelete